Pages

Monday, August 29, 2011

Where's the WOW!???



Several times during the past months, I have heard my friend, Marty, burst with a great big “WOW!” I’d raise my head in surprise and look at his face, and sure enough -- “WOW!” was written all over him. It was real and genuinely expressed ---- and I was jealous.

I was born in church (not really!!!) and I can’t remember ever missing being there when the doors were unlocked. I think I had 17 bars of Sunday School pins when I was 17 years old --- perfect attendance! Youth Groups, Junior church, big church, Pioneer Girls, Youth Choir, Big Choir, Wednesday night prayer meeting, Evening services, etc., etc. I think I always knew that God loved me ---- the first Bible verse I remember learning was, “We love Him because He first loved us.” So I learned a lot during all those years.
I heard it over and over and over and over. . . . In a million different ways, different presentations, different people, different lessons.

I went on to Bible School. More of the same, only a little deeper, more concentrated, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Now. . . Here I am in my early 60’s. I recently started attending a church where there are many new Christians. Not only are they young in their faith, but all of this “stuff” is brand new to them. One told me that she had no idea what they were talking about when they told her she needed “A Savior.” She had no inclination of what that meant. She said, “Saved from WHAT?” All the words that we are a part of our Christian “language” were new and foreign and strange to her. Grasping the concepts of the sin of man, a Savior, redemption, the cross, etc. just baffled her and said that there ought to be “beginner classes” for those who come into the church unlearned and new.

It’s been a real eye-opener for me, but at the same time, the most refreshing thing I’ve ever experienced. I’ve wondered how many times I have said things that perhaps went right over the heads of those listening to me? I grew up in a time when most of us all went to church ---- Catholic, Jewish, and Christian --- that’s what we all were in my high school and we all went to our respective churches. I remember years later the shock that came over me when a teenager asked me, “Who was Jesus, anyways?” At that time, I thought everyone in the U.S.A. knew that answer. I definitely know better today.

For me, it has been such a blessing to watch new believers “get it!” And there is just a little, tiny piece of me that wishes I were in their shoes. I would like that “WOW!” feeling once in a while. Yes, I am grateful for all God gave me in my Christian upbringing. But having grown up in it all, taking it in little by little on a daily basis, somehow the wonder and awe and newness was just not there for me.

One of my prayers lately has been that the Lord would show me Himself in a new and “WOW!” way, and that Scriptures that have been memorized and repeated over and over all my life would become new and alive and real ---- just as they are to Marty.

How about you? Do you have any “WOW’s” ? I’d love to hear about them!

Read others who are participating in On Your Heart Tuesdays here:









12 comments:

Kristin Bridgman said...

My last WOW was last week when I got to see a soul saved and the peace that was all over his face...that's a WOW I have never experienced except with my own children years ago. It has put me on a high I would like to never come down from. But I know exactly what you mean. I have been in those non wow times. Ann Voskamps book has opened my eyes to so much blessings around me, that I think the wow factor is coming more and more often. I love filling up my blessing journal. And I am loving getting "out there" and sharing with others about the love of Christ. Some listen and some don't, but the more I do it, the more of that WOW feeling comes and I just want to keep doing it. I hope that made sense.
So glad to see you back here, I was thinking of you today. Will be praying you get the WOW back in one way or another:)
much love,
Kristin

Denise said...

I have many many "WoW's" in my life.. I understand what you mean you watch the new Christians and see them experience God ....... HE loves to bless them and "wow" them in the early years....BUT then when HE begins to teach them, the "wow's" come through tribulations and testing.. It has to.... THEN the "wow's" become life changing.....
So many "wow's" in my life.. I must start sharing them...... The most recent was the day that my Uncle died.. April 28th .. He was my mothers brother.... I have struggled since losing my Mom and Dad last year and while talking to my cousin, she was sharing with me the last thing that Uncle Ed said..... First he said he saw his wife standing at the end of the bed and he was talking to her, then he told her that he then was talking to Helen and Paul..... My mom and dad.... it broke my heart to know that the Father God gave me that beautiful moment to assure me that Mom and Dad were together, happy and well..... It was a beautiful moment for me and my heart was filled with appreciation for the love that the Father God shed's on us each day........

Love ya girl..... I am pumped to be blogging again..... I miss my friends!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Girl I am with you, I was brought up in the church so it came by naturally, if that is what you want to call it.

Keep praying for a "WOW" moment, it will come.

I got a big "WOW" last year when I finally gave my life to GOD "without reservations". (Yes I was saved long ago but always had a little bit of me that I kept to myself.) The feeling was like nothing I had felt and I got it. He may never use me for anything than what I am doing these days for him, HE just wanted to hear it.

If you were not brought up in the church, how easy do you think you would have believed? I often times wonder what my views would have been and how easy believing would come to me.

I marvel at our new believers, they are like a sponge wanting to soak up so much but then they are astounded to read what all Jesus did for us, the pain and the reason why.

You are blessed to be a witness and to see so many come to know and learn about the lord. Its like watching a baby walk or talk for the first time.

Awesome!

nancy huggins said...

Wow Cora..I never really thought about the Wow word until I read your post. It is really funny but that is a word I use a lot for many different things..like when you see someone do something good or unusual.
Now you have me stopping and thinking about that one word and what it really means and in so many ways. Maybe I am a little like the new younger people or maybe it is just one of the words I use a lot like words that people use a lot.
So thanks for the Wow wake up Cora

Anonymous said...

Two separate experiences came to mind as I read your post, Cora.
1) My sister and I co-lead a FIrst Place 4 Health group for about 3 years. First Place is a Christian weight loss program which is a whle lot more, but it does help you manage weight. I invited someone who is not a Christian and she was literally non=functional in the group. She's never opened a Bible. She had no memory of anything the questions would ask her since she was not in the church. She was uncomfortable when we prayed (or as she would say, "talked to ourselves."

2) When I was a young pastor's wife, still in my 20's, I lived next to a woman with two small boys like mine. Because of this, we talked to each other almost every day. One day she said to me, "I don't quite get all the church stuff. For instance, how could Jesus be born on Christmas and raise from the dead on Easter." She was not kidding. Dhe didn't have ANY concept that Jesus was God in human form or that she could have a personal relationship with him. I tried to help her understand it.

You are so right that being Christian is like being a different culture with its own language and traditions. It does all of us good to get with the youngin's in the faith. They have a lot to teach us.

Jennifer said...

My WOW was last Sunday when my entire church congregation poured into the local community for a day of serving! It was thrilling to be part of that group knowing God was going to do amazing things that day. And He did!

Rosilind Jukic said...

I'm hopping on over from "In Your Heart Tuesdays". What a great post! I'm not 60 yet, but I can totally relate to this post as a PK (like you, practically born in the pew). What an awesome lesson for us all that older and newer Christians can have that "wow!". I pray that He truly does take you from glory to glory everyday as you walk with Him!!

Shanda said...

I long for those WOW moments as well as I, like you, have spent a lifetime in church. Today, however, My daughter finally did what I asked and started a blog. She is in Africa for 3 months and wrote her first post in an airport today. All I could say was, "WOW"! This was my daughter! These words of maturity are coming from the little girl I have prayed for for so long. I am in awe of how God is working in her life.

Leaon Mary said...

My WOW is how God gave me this mentor just when I needed her the most. How He gives her these scriptures that do indeed WOW me. Also when I sit back and look at the people in my life right now... and think about the many ways we met... and what's happened in and through those friendships... I can get this glimpse of all these connected dots with this HUGE purpose that all comes together in a way that I can't even find words to describe it. Know what I mean? lol

Sarah said...

So many WOWs, such a great God! A delight to meet you today. i hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a refreshing place to dip my toes in God;s goodness.

Be blessed bunches,
Sarah

Craig said...

the more I get to know you, Cora, the more "wow" I see – I see it on a regular basis. I heart it – lots!

And although – now that I realize how long it took me to get enough heart knowledge combined with had knowledge to be a leader of God's people – and I realize how I probably would've messed up BIG if I became a pastor after seminary – and I can see why it's best for only mature Christians to become leaders. Still, there is such joy in the new Christians – with the new questions – the stretch your mind – and broaden your heart. Oh, and I just finished praying for you to have more "wow" soon – and often. God bless you my friend!

Kristin Bridgman said...

Had to come back and thank you for your sweet support today 9-9 . Can I call you 'momma?"
Love you!