Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Precious Jewels!

Malachi 3:16-17a, Amplified Version~
Then those who feared the Lord talked often one to another; and the Lord listened and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him of those who reverenced and worshipfully feared the Lord and who thought on His name.
And they shall be Mine, says the Lord of hosts, in that day when I publicly recognize and openly declare them to be My jewels (My special possession, My peculiar treasure).

A few weeks ago, I lost my journal --- the one in which I kept a record of my thankful gratitudes I would see in the moment --- the one that Ann VosKamp had inspired me to start ---- the one that was changing my life, moment by moment. I thought I could just remember these wonderful things that came my way each day. I still saw them -- for a while --- but like children’s bubbles, they were soon gone with the breezes, and by Monday morning, I could not retrieve any of them. And even if there were a few, they seemed stale, like last week’s Italian loaf of bread. NOT postable. Not palatable. Maybe more like “yesterday’s manna”.

My friend, Debra, over at Sparrowgrass posted this verse this past week, and it struck me hard. The thought of the Lord bending His ear to listen to me as I talked with others around me, waiting to hear His name spoken with reverence and worship. And, if He DID hear His Name, He would write my name in a Book of Remembrance. I envisioned a sacred ceremony one day when He would open His book, His own personal journal filled with names of those who took the time to think of Him and His Name, and one by one, would call them out publicly and declare them to be His jewels.
Remember that song we used to sing as children?
“When He cometh, when He cometh To make up His jewels,
All His jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.

He will gather, He will gather
The gems for His kingdom,
All the pure ones, all the bright ones,
His loved and His own.
Like the stars of the morning
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty,
Bright gems for His crown.

Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels,
His loved and His own.

Like the stars of the morning
His bright crown adorning,
They shall shine in their beauty
, Bright gems for His crown.
Sing it with me today, won’t you? And as you do, think His Name -- perhaps one of His Names that is most precious to you! (You can turn off my music already playing if you scroll to the bottom and and hit the button. It should turn it off while you listen to Alison Kraus.)


Still counting my blessings and gratitudes:
567. That He is my Shepherd, providing all of what I need, leaving me with no wants.

568. That He is El Roi, the One who sees ME, knows me better than I know myself, and loves me just the same.

569. That He is El Elyon, the Most High One, far above all other gods, in control of all the worlds and universes, yet, still cares about ME and controls all that comes and goes into and out of my life.

570. That He is Jehovah Ropha, the Healer of all that is broken.
That He is El Shaddai -- The All sufficient One who supplies my every need.

571. That He is Jehovah-Jirah -- The One who will provide.

572. That whenever I whisper His name or scream it loudly, He bends His ear and listens.

573. That He never changes, and all that He says He is, He will always be.

574. That He never leaves me nor forsakes me, no matter what it is I am going through or where I am.

575. That all that He is is made available to me in the moment of my need.

576. That crab cakes made in a healthy, diet-friendly way can be so mouth-watering good!

577. That dinner with a friend can be just so much fun and full of fellowship and laughter!

578. That watching sycamore leaves turn a bronzy gold as they do their last dances in the fall breeze could bring back so many sweet memories.

579. Hearing the acorns hitting the shed roof and rolling slowly off to the ground. I imagine squirrels perking up their ears and knowing that a big job is ahead of them in hiding and burying their winter food stock!

580. Watching leaves dance their final performance as they slowly make their way to the ground.

581. Seeing the magic of moonbeams turn wet, soggy oak leaves into shimmery silver treasures on my sidewalk.

582. Smiling as Buster squints as cool raindrops hit his face. He has sensed my peacefulness in sitting out in the rain and sits patiently with me, wondering why this is a good thing.

583. Celebrating the baptism of a young teenager who is committed to following the Lord.

584. The privilege of worshipping with a recently saved biker gang member --- tatoos, ankle monitor and all. Seeing the love between pastor and biker, the hug, slap on the back, tears of joy shared between them ---- that’s all I needed for a Sunday morning worship.

Joining with Ann VosKamp and a community of so many others who are raising their voices of gratitude on Mondays. Click on the banner below to read others' lists:

16 comments:

Debra said...

Oh Cora-your posts touch me deep...I really loved your last thankful on the list. And the mention of God's names...Sitting in the rain with Buster. All so peaceful-delightful.
I had never heard the hymn-but I'm glad you included the words, so I could sing too.

He really has given me a new song, and not only that, He's singing OVER me.
Love, Debra

Nacole said...

hi Cora,

i loved the first four on your list--really loved them, but i think #572 was my favorite! oh, to think that he bends low...just to hear me....how soothing a thought. i loved the song...Allison Krauss is one of my favorite singers--what a beautiful hymn.

blessings!

Kristin Bridgman said...

A precious, precious list. . .I am sitting here being thankful to with a grateful heart.
So glad you started your list again. And I'm leaving your place smiling, as always. Thank you!

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Beautiful post and blessings.
Praise him daily for his blessings be they large, small.

Elaine said...

What a sweet song! I have never heard it before and am glad you included the words as well as the song.
I needed to read this tonight to thank God for some things. I have been having a pity party, but no more, after reading your post. :)

Eggs In My Pocket said...

What a beautiful heart touching post today! Blessings to you Cora! Kathleen

dsblanchard said...

Dear Cora,

Where have I been? I never heard the hymn,or of Allison Krauss, nor do I remember Malachi 3:16-17a as it reads in the Amplified version. Thanks for the video, words and music so I could learn while joining in...just one problem here (how do I get the opening music off so I can only hear the Jewels song). It's getting a bit too complicated for me, Cora!!!!

I loved #575 He does do that. #579 - acorns hitting the shed roof making squirrels' ears perk up (only you, Cora!) #582 I can just see Buster's face as he sits in the rain with you. Mickey gave me the same look when I walked him in the pouring rain today.

Lastly, #581 moonbeams turning leaves on the ground silver. If we get this on earth, just imagine heaven!

Thanks for sharing and sharing,
Much love,
Dawn

Nancy said...

Cora, I am always refreshed when I wander over to your place. Just hearing this beautiful old hymn took me back to the place where I learned of my need for a Savior. And that last item on your list? Precious indeed.

Leaon Mary said...

Oh I love the scripture you shared- and have never heard it like that. To think of talking with one another and saying HIS NAME... -- and then how you recorded the names of God in your GIFTS too!!
I love how God used Deborah to inspire you, and I love the hymn you shared. -- The way you see God's beauty all around you...
I sit with you today Cora... sharing our Jesus.
Counting with you... and magnifying HIS NAME... holykisses xoxo

trump said...

I was just passing through and thought id stop and say hello. Have a very nice weekend everyone. Richard from the Amish community of Pennsylvania.

Paula said...

I love that song, Cora... and love that Debra's words stirred something so special in you! Aren't we ministering angels to each other sometimes?
I'm sorry you lost your journal, but I think God turned that into something even more precious! It's amazing how HE works...
((HUGS))

KathyB. said...

I tried to pick a favorite thing you were thankful for but could not. All you are thankful for is so much more BECAUSE you are thankful and noticing the little things in life that are not so little after all. They are special and mean so much because God chose to add them to our lives. The leaves turning color, the salvation of one needing Him ( as do we all), that He is the "all sufficient One". Praise Him !

Craig said...

and no, no I don't remember hearing that song is a child. But I smiled that you do. and poor Dawn – never having heard of Alison Krauss – we need to keep updating her don't we? and of your thank you's – my favorite is you sitting in the rain, calm and peaceful, with your friend by your side, sensing your peace, and no doubt causing a bunch of it. I think it's important for us, especially those of us without family surrounding us, to have Busters and Laskas. God bless you, my friend – and thank you for this – I'm smiling – and peaceful.

thefisherlady said...

what a peaceful rejoicing sort of post, one that will stay with me tonight as I go to sleep. Refreshed, encouraged, smiling... Your list is wonderful! Rather than acorns our squirrels drop cones on our tin roof; the sound is reminiscent of their joyous labour.
Peace to you Cora

Pamela said...

I can't imagine losing my journal. I love this song, too.

Thank you for reminding me that whether I scream or whisper God's name He bends His ear.

I hope your day is full of joy and blessing.

Pamela

Debra said...

missing you~