Ever since I started participating in Thankful Thursdays, I've become much more aware of things during my days that are real blessings ---- things I probably would NOT have noticed or remembered before. Nothing chases away the blues better than a thankful heart, believe me!
If you'd like to participate, write down five things you are thankful for this week.
You can find the code by clicking on the little picture above, and also read what others are thankful for this week!
Here's my list:
1. My radiation burns are almost all healed up now. Just a small spot left, and that is getting better each day. I've got to tell you, this was harder than any part of the cancer treatments so far. Maybe because it was the end and I'm tired of it all, or maybe because it was so daily! Going every single day for 6 weeks for this got really old really fast. And for some reason, it played with my emotions. It could have been the aloneness of lying on that table half naked in a dark room, or it could have been the side effects of radiation. I don't know. But I am so thankful now that it is over and behind me!
2. Help and support along the way. Nothing better than people who come along side and encourage you through all of this. Some of these "angels unaware" don't even realize how they have changed a day for someone. My primary care physician's office is like that. What a bunch of cheerful, happy, caring people in that place!!!! I went there Monday for a followup visit. The nurse practioner is nicer than any Dr. I've ever had and is always so willing to take all the time in the world with me. She also told me that I should have called her about the burns -- that SHE would have taken care of it for me. I'll know next time! But I left there feeling a bit lighter and that I had left some burdens at their doorstep. And just think --- they probably didn't even realize that they made my day!
3. Flowers! I'm not one for manicured gardens. Mind you, I love seeing these, but I don't have a green thumb and I really can't do all the work anymore to maintain it. But right now, my jasmine and my honeysuckle are in full bloom and I just love it. The honeysuckle has taken over my fence, but hey! The butterflies and the birds seem to love it, so it stays!!!!
4. Beans! Have you ever made THE most best pot of beans ever????? Maybe I haven't had beans in a while, or these were just the best --- I don't know. I used the baby limas, LOTS of carrots, onions, some seasonings, and one of those kielbasi things. Also had cornbread with it. Just toooo good! Thank you, Lord, for BEANS!
5. Birds!!!!! We seem to have an unusual amount of activity this year. And it's been so great to watch a pair of pileated woodpeckers carving out their home in a huge, old, dead pine tree. It was sad to see the pine tree go, but it didn't go to waste, believe me. My sister and I walked out to see the hole they were digging into this dead trunk that was left, and I wished I could just shimmy up there and look into that new home!!!! Here's a look at these two:
And here's their new front door: