I don't know much about politics. I try my best to listen, but often find my blood boiling when I do. But this just went over the edge for me. I just can't believe that ANYONE would vote in favor of this ----- telling me that I can no longer plant a tomato plant in a pot on my 5 acres of land! I feel like all my rights are being taken away from me one by one. Please read this, check it out, and make your voice heard . . . somewhere!
Here is the full text version of the bill. You may have to copy the link and paste it:
HR 875: SHORT TITLE.—This Act may be cited as the "Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009"
Full text version pdf of HR 875: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h875ih.txt.pdf
Pay special attention to
* Section 3 which is the definitions portion of the bill-read in it’s entirety.
* section 103, 206 and 207- read in its entirety.
What it Does:
* Legally binds state agriculture departments to enforce federal guidelines effectively taking away the states power to do anything other than being food police for the federal government.
* Effectively criminalizes organic farming, but doesn’t actually use the word 'organic.'
* Affects anyone growing food, even if they are not selling it but consuming it.
* Affects anyone producing meat of any kind including wild game.
* Legislation is so broad based that every aspect of growing or producing food can be made illegal. There are no specifics, which is bizarre considering how long the legislation is.
* Section 103 is almost entirely about the administrative aspect of the legislation. It will allow the appointing of officials from the factory farming corporations and lobbyists and classify them as experts and allow them to determine and interpret the legislation. Who do you think they are going to side with?
* Section 206 defines what will be considered a 'food production facility' and what will be enforced upon all food production facilities. The wording is so broad based that a backyard gardener could be fined and more.
* Section 207 requires that the state’s Agriculture department act as the food police and enforce the federal requirements. This takes away the states power and is in violation of the 10th amendment.
Friday, April 3, 2009
Posted by Cora from Hidden Riches at 3:38 PM