Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Waterboarding


So many of you have asked about #420 in my last post ---- my sister waterboarding turkey vultures. So here's the explanation.

We have a real problem. For some reason, about 50 of these horrible looking turkey vultures have decided that my house and my sister's house would make wonderful roosting places. They are tearing up the roofs, and that's bad enough. But they come down into the yard morning and evening, they chase us, chase our cats, go after the other birds, to say nothing of the droppings, etc. I wanted to get my mail (we have the old fashioned mailboxes on the road), and this "boss vulture" came after me hissing and throwing up at me.

These birds are protected and you can't hurt, kill, or harm them in any way. Suggestions are loud noises, shiney objects, clapping, etc. NOTHING works. Even gun shots in the air just send them back to the roof and then they stand there looking over the edge and laugh at us.

Well, my sister is on a mission. She got her hose out with one of those power nozzles on it and goes after these beasts!!!!! I think it does more for HER as it gets rid of some of her frustrations for a little while. The birds just walk away and come back when she finishes her tantrum with the water.

If ANYONE has any suggestions as to how to get these things to move, I would so appreciate it. I just can't understand why our house. We don't have garbage or dead animals, etc., sitting out. Isn't that what they usually go after????? Maybe they are waiting for ME to drop out there, I don't know! I hear they go for the eyeballs first!

12 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

Why would they be protected? Do they have any predators? If they are doing damage or chasing you all, I think I would have to take matters in my hands and pay the fine.

Paula said...

I'm with Tammy- I never knew they were protected.
Around here, our dogs bark and they fly away, Cora... maybe you could send Buster out after them? *hehe*

Anonymous said...

I don't believe turkey vultures are protected here..have to check on that....have to think about this....
evidently there is something on your property they are attracted to...they are carrion birds for the most part

Lisa Maria said...

Cora, have you tried asking Animal Control to check into the problem? I'm sure you've checked this site out already since its advice is pretty much what you seem to be trying already but, on the off chance something else here might help:
http://vulturesociety.homestead.com/Discourage.html

I wish you luck!

Kristin Bridgman said...

I have never heard of such a thing. You are such a blessing to so many, they probably sense that and want to be around you :)

I'm with Lisa, I would call animal control. We've had to do that with other critters...skunks, a goat, a raccoon. That's what we get for living out in the country:)

I'll pray for this to be resolved soon. I don't want them chasing you to your mailbox!

Vicky said...

I've never seen such a creature and especially up close! Have you googled it to see? I have no idea what I'd do but I have to admit to giggling at the waterboarding idea!!

Rose said...

First , I have never heard of turkey vultures to be under the 'protected' category of birds. Second, even if they are protected why don't you take matters in your hand and pay the fine just like what Tammy suggested you in the first comment?If you can't do all this then simply call in animal control , they might have handled such cases before , they'll know exactly how to resolve your problem.Something is obviously attracting them towards your house, may be there is something on the roof of your house which your unaware of? They can't be hovering on your house like that..I hope this problem gets sorted out soon.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

In answer to all your comments about these vultures being protected, here is a great article about them, the damage they do, and yes, they are federally protected:
http://www.felid.org/activities/page_24.htm

Jen said...

I agree with Lisa Marie. Animal Control? I know out here, if we ever have any problem with an animal, their job is to retrieve, rescue, or remove the animal in question. Just my thoughts...
A recent newbie,
Jen

Craig said...

how can something so mean looking and full of Gah be protected. Maybe keep the cats inside and go rent a mountain lion for a day or two, or maybe a real lion, or maybe try actual waterboarding – that might work– other than that I got nothin' sorry. You deserve better than turkey vultures Cora– if I could wish them away I would :-) God bless.

Leaon Mary said...

That's kinda funny. Isn't it nuts that abortions are legal in our country...Is that messed up or what... kill human beings but save the buzzards.
We have them out here too. We have this big dead tree out in the pasture and they roost in it and set there "waiting" I always wonder if they're waitin on me to drop too Cora. lol Makes me think of that movie Wild Hogs. lol -- I say; "Sick em Buster!"

Anonymous said...

Cora, can you put a dead animal out in your yard that is COVERED with really HOT chili pepper or horse radish? Or try peanut butter missiles slingshot at them laced with the same? Or, some animals don't like sticky things under foot...maybe there is something really really sticky with strong but not too strong holding power you can have smeared on the rim of your chimney? Or line the rim with pointy barbed wire? I am saying this with a smile, and I actually love animals, but I also know what we might have done when we were kids...still got it in me, I guess. :) Laughed at 'rent a lion' idea! Seriously, I would call animal control, too. Maybe they will shoot them with tranquilizers and haul them off. A.