Pages

Monday, March 31, 2008

Meet Mr. Grumps!

Photobucket


Let me introduce you to our new resident here at our home! He moved in unannounced with much ta-do, and it seems that he has decided to stay.

At first I thought a squirrel was resting with his head in the doorway to the birdhouse, but quickly realized that it was not MRS. PEARL, the squirrel! I quickly got my binoculars, and sho-nuf, those big old eyes were staring right back at me.

I should have known something was amis out there! All the little chickadees, titmice, cardinals, etc., were just having a fit. I watched for a while, and one brave titmice decided he would take charge and actually started pecking at poor Mr. Grump's face. Too much trouble for him, so he retreated back into the house.

I couldn't take my eyes off that bird house. All day long I felt that I had these eyes following me wherever I went. And in the evening, he sat there with his head poking out, staring into my window, as if he were watching TV with me.

Take another look at that picture. I think his name is appropriate, don't you? In some ways, I'm glad he is here. My sister has chickens and goats, etc., and has been battling the mice and rat problem. So Mr. Grumps will have to work for his room and board here. And he will definitely have to make peace with the little birds I feed here. If he causes problems, he will be kicked off the property. It does seem that some agreements and propertly lines were drawn between them all, as peace returned yesterday and all the complaining, striking, and sign carrying had stopped.

I would love to see inside that birdhouse. I wonder if there is a Mrs. Grumps and if I will know the difference between the two??????

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cora, I am so excited for you! I knew in a second what it was, Hoot! Hoot! how awesome to have one live with you! No way, kick him out.... Maybe he loves to have you around, how unusual!

How big is this birdhouse? also, have you seen the movie " Hoot"! I love it, Evenyone should see it. It is out on DVD and My bud, "Jimmy Buffett" does the music amd has a bit part.

naomisnotions said...

Oh, how sweet!!! I just love him! I'd say it's better then a bat...lol.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Naomi

nancy huggins said...

That is just to awesome for words..I have never seen one up close and I bet my Girls would have a fit if he landed here. I hope I can get a good picture like that when I start getting Hummers to com to my yard. We could crop the pictures together...that would be a real sight.
Keep us informed about Mr Grumps :)
Nancy
Hugginshaven.com

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Cyndi, the birdhouse was meant for woodpeckers. It's been up forever, the hole has been pecked to death, and many different things have nested in there. Flycatchers, squirrels, woodpeckers, etc. The owl is a first.

Nancy, the first day he was there he seemed to not be afraid of anything at all. Just kept his head poked out all the time, so I was able to get a picture. Then, I thought he was gone, but he's down in there because I keep seeing movement! Cora

Anonymous said...

Maybe he is a she? and building a nest????? how cool would that be? let us know how this progresses, Cora...

*Linda Pinda* said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's amazing, Cora!

I can't wait to hear more updates on whether it's Mr or Mrs Grumps!!!

Baby Owls???
How cool would that be?!?!

Hugs... *Linda*

Penny @ Miss Pootsie's Primitives said...

Wow cora! How special that is. I asked my hubby about nesting habits of owls. He said he didn't know very much, just that they usually nest in hollow trees, or barn lofts. He wondered how big the birdhouse was too, because owls are usually fairly BIG! It's waaaaay better than buzzards, huh?
Penny

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Penny, this is a screech owl, and they are about 8 to 10 inches. Just a little guy! The house is large -- meant for woodpeckers, etc. Squirrels have nested in it, if that gives you an idea of how big it is. And yes, I'll take the owl over the buzzards any day!

Cora

Farmhouse Blessings said...

He is a darling, Cora! That is so special. Can you hear him at night? I just love to hear an owl hoot!

Blessings,
Lea

Paula said...

I hope if you see Mrs. Grumps, she looks a little happier than Mr. Grumps! lol
I'll be interested to see if all your little birds continue their daily activities with him around. He looks harmless to me, but to a chickadee, he must look pretty intimidating!