Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Best Ever Pot Roast!



I'm not a good planner as to what I'm having for dinner the next day, etc. So I'm really bad at getting something out of the freezer and getting it defrosted in time.
The other day, on the spur of the moment, I decided on a nice pot roast. There it was, sitting in my freezer, as hard as a brick. But I thought. . . . . let's experiment here!!!!!

It was a nice chuck roast -- couple of pounds. I unwrapped that baby, made sure all the plastic, etc., was off as it was frozen to the meat!




I got out my big thick, heavy, dutch oven and drizzled some oil in the bottom of the pan and got it heated to a high temperature. Sprinkled salt, pepper, and garlic in the oil and dropped that frozen brick of meat into that pan.




Don't move it around a lot. Just let it sizzle for a few minutes, especially if it's a frozen brick like mine. While you are waiting, salt, pepper, and garlic the side that is up and facing you. Then, take a peak on the sizzling size and see if it is nicely browned. If so, turn it over and brown the other side.



Now you have a choice. Since my crockpot bit the dust, I left mine in this same heavy pot to finish my roast. If you have a crockpot, you can remove the roast from the pan to your crockpot at this point!




Now: 1. Add one LARGE family size can of Cream of Mushroom soup, undiluted.
2. Add one envelope of Beefy onion soup (Liptons - comes two in a box).
3. Add about 1 1/2 cups of water.
4. Cut about 3 large onions in chunks and throw in there.

That's it. Cover that baby and let it cook. I turned mine on a med - low heat for a while, since I knew it was still probably frozen in the center, and I checked on it often to make sure it was still going at a slow boil. In the crockpot, I would set it on high, make sure it comes to a boil, then lower to medium.

I cooked mine for about 4 hours. At about the two hour mark, I added carrots. You can add potatoes, but I had mashed potatoes in mind, so didn't this time.

When your roast is fork tender, falling apart, making you drool, etc., it's done!
Check the thickness of all that artery clogging, delicious gravy. If you want it thicker, take some out into a bowl, whisk in some flour, then pour back into your pan and mix well till thickened.

I guarantee you, this is the all time best pot roast I've ever made. You just can't go wrong!!!!!!

PS: Someone left a comment that she makes this recipe except she cooks it in the oven! I forgot to mention that I have done this receipt in one of those cooking bags with all the same ingredients, tied that bag up, and followed the temp, etc., on the roasting bag directions. Same results!!!! Just delicious!

32 comments:

Gone said...

Cora...this sounds delicious!!!

Thanks for sharing...
Jan

Ann said...

She is right folks, it is the best. I have been doing mine this way for a while and we love it. Only I put mine in the oven.

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Sounds so yummy thanks for sharing the recipe. I don't think I have ever made a pot roat hmmmm gonna have to change that!! Hope your having a good day!~Wendy

Ruthie said...

It's making me hungry and it's only lunch time.
SMiles.

Patty H. said...

I have a pork roast on the stove right now! I usually use my crock pot but was late getting it starting today.
Blessings

Julie said...

Loved your Buster and roast posts!! Buster sounds so much like our dog. I just smiled and nodded as I read. We have roast almost each Sunday for dinner. I will have to try this one for a change--it sounds yummy. Julie

Juri said...

Cor...I could smell it cooking all the way to my house!!! I love it that you break the rules...cooking from frozen....and end up being the best cook!!!

Juri

Anonymous said...

Hi Cora!
Now if I just had this recipe yesterday. Sigh..
My in-laws came for supper Sunday and I cooked pot roast.
Your recipe sounds really good. I will try it next time.
Thanks for sharing it.
Good thoughts and prayers still coming your way from Georgia.
Have a great day!
Pam

Chanda said...

Hi Cora, My mouth is absolutely watering as I look at that roast. I bet it was scrumptious. It is cool enough here tonight for a good pot roast, down to 50 degress tonight. Burrrrr!! Thats cold for Missouri for early Sept. Like they say " the chill of an early fall". We definetly have that this year. Hope your doing well and I still pray for you each night. Take care and God bless.
Shanda

Eve said...

I can vouch for this recipe. I love it but I usually use Lipton onion soup mix. I'll have to try the beefy one.
I use my mircrowave for defrosting. I avoided it like the plague for a long time and then one day, I decided to trust it.It works...who knew? LOL

Linda said...

Aren't those meats that are cooked for a lonnnnnng time just the BEST? ;)

Since my husband changed our internet radio station to 'Ireland live', we've been on an Irish frenzy all week.... Irish stew, and something you REALLY should try: beef in Guinness!

The same 'recipe' as you describe here, only change the mushroom soup & herbs for a can of Guinness.. really superb!

greetings from holland!

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

Sounds great!! I will surely try this ;)

Hugs,
Vic

Raquel said...

Cora, that sounds really, really good. I usually do mine in the crock pot and use beef broth instead of the cream of mushroom soup. Then I shred some of it for French Dip sandwiches. Praying for you! Much love, Raquel XO

Pam said...

Oh yum....that sounds so good! Now I'm hungry!!!!!

Thinking of you everyday, Cora-
Blessings,
Pam

Paula said...

Mmmm this post made my mouth water, Cora!!

I hope you have leftovers... I'm coming over!!

Deb said...

Mmmmm!!! Cora, this sounds great, I use the mushroom soup, and Campbell's french onion soup, but I've never brown on both sides of my roast before cooking. I will try that on my next roast. Yours sounds delish. Deb

Toni said...

I`ll definatly be trying this recipe!! Thanks for sharing it cora!! Hope you have a blessed evening!!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Evening Cora,

Your roast looks heavenly...I have been thinking about a roast, I will have to try your recipe, perhaps this weekend.

Praying for you,
Kathi :)

Leaon Mary said...

That sure sounds good Cora! I'd love it, but Myguy would pitch a fit coz it has onions, n mushrooms in it. Poor man.... he does NOT eat vegetables or fruit. How does he not have the rickets? LOL - Well, he "will" eat taters n corn and maybe one green bean.
Thinking of YOU Cora!
My love to Ole Buster,
Eagle wings, and
white chocolate macadamia nut cookies,
Lea

Renna said...

Cora, that is also the same way I make mine, though I also cook mine in the oven. I prefer the taste of it cooked in the oven in my cast iron dutch oven to it being cooked in my crockpot. There's something about that dutch oven which lends to the flavor! ;-)

You have my mouth watering. I picked up four chuck roasts on sale at Kroger's last night for about the price I'd normally pay for one. It was a blessing, as we've been having to cut back on meat due to escalating grocery prices (not that cutting back on meat will hurt us!).

LindaSue said...

Delicious - nothing like a good pot roast! So dear friend - looks as if you are hungry again - talking of roasts and hot cereal with raisins - all good all good.

Debra said...

Hello Dear Friend,
I have an award for you on my blog.
Come and get it!
Love, Debra

SweetAnnee said...

Oh I made one just last week..smelled so good.
I like your recipe..
yum
deena

Colleen/And Baby Makes Five said...

Now THAT is one tempting fall time meal! I'm really looking forward to those kinds of dinners now that fall is in the air here in Maine. Thanks for sharing!

Enjoy the rest of your evening...

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Mmmmm that sounds so good, Cora! Guess what we're going to have for dinner tomorrow. I just happen to have all those ingredients on hand.
And I'll be using trusty crock pot too!

Thanks a bunch!

Lea

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

YUM!! Roast, potatoes and carrots is my favorite dinner!! Thanks for the recipe. Glad you're feeling good enough to eat!!

Hugs,
Kay

*Linda Pinda* said...

Cora!
That looks so good, I want to reach right through the computer screen and grab a dish!!!

MMmm.... my favorite. And it's getting to be that time of year "up here". I can't wait for all the homemade soups and roasted dinners...

Good-bye grill... hello oven!!!

:)... *Linda*

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi Cora,
I love pot roast and all the winter foods that will be on our table soon!
Still thinking and praying for you and Buster says HI!!!to your Buster:)
Rondell

Leaon Mary said...

Cora, just want you to know I'm thinking of you this very minute and lifting you in prayer.
God bless you cora,
I love you!
Lea

EAGLE WINGS EAGLE WINGS EAGLE WINGS!

Toni said...

Cora,
Just checking in on you before I head off to bed. Just want you to know that I just prayed for you a few minutes ago that God would lift your spirits and strengthen your body.Have sweet dreams!!! Love and blessings,Toni

Aliene said...

Cora, did you go to my blog and see an award I left you? I cooked a roast like you and it was delicious. Thanks for stopping by and encouraqing me Loe you and pray for you.

Sherri said...

COra, I made your recipe for pot roast tonight for dinner and it turned out awesome. Hubby loved it too.
I hope those hats I sent to you fit ok and that your getting lots of wear out of them It is getting colder.
Prayers and blessings, Sherri