Pages

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Miracles Never Cease!!!!



Last week, I posted about Buster, my Chocolate Lab! So many of you were so encouraging about him settling down, learning to behave, etc., and I thank you for all those comments.

A few days ago, my sister and brother-in-law decided to do an experiment, mustard up all the nerve they could, and came through the gate into my back yard. We only had to say "NO!" one time, and Buster did NOT jump on them, as excited as he was to have his favorite friends there. We walked up to the porch, sat down, and waited to see what would happen. Believe it or not, he was as good as gold the whole time we were there. To most of you, this would go unnoticed, but to all of us, it was the biggest change we've seen yet in Buster. Usually "Uncle Bob" would go home with scratches, blood dripping down his arm, dirt all over his shirt, etc. I just couldn't believe the change and my hopes were renewed that MAYBE I'll end up with a great dog after all.

I've noticed Buster doing a lot of thinking lately. Maybe it's a part of the maturing process, or the fact that a lot of the hyper-ness is going away, but he does seem to be figuring out that some things make me happy, and some thing DON'T!!!!

I went way back in my blog and read some of those first posts about how terrible he was, flunking out of obedience school, and thinking I would have to give him up. It's been a hard year with him, but I'm beginning to think it will all be worth it. When you see continuing progress each and every day, there's a lot more "Good Boy!" being said, than all the other stuff that goes with "Bad Boy!!!!"

If I ever get another dog, and I have a pick of the litter, it will NOT be the one that is happy, up front, jumping on me, loving me, and having a gay old time of it. It will be the poor little sad faced guy, the one who looks like he needs a friend -- NOT the one who thinks the world revolves around him, like Buster did. I'm too old for all these shanannagins!!!!!

So here he is -- sleeping on my feet under my computer. My best friend, all wrapped around my heart now. Who would have thought it would take over a year for him to figure life out and to get ME trained?????

14 comments:

Renna said...

Cora, I'm so happy for you that you're seeing progress in Buster. A dog of that size is like an over sized, but exuberant toddler. Of course a toddler is easier to handle (physically), due to their size. Maturing does take place, though, in toddlers and in dogs.

SweetAnnee said...

Oh Buster looks so sweet..It's hard when they are young..they just want to have fun..
Hope you are doing well..
much love to you sweetie..Deena

Praying for you

SweetAnnee said...

Cora dear..on the right side of my blog I added a Prayer list..you are on there dear friend..Deena

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I can't help if Buster is sensing you are quieter and less active as well and that he needs to be quieter - along with the maturing. My son says when he is sick, his dog lays quietly by his side. Must be something to it!

I hope you are having more good days than bad!

hugs, Linda

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Cora,
What an awesome praise report!! You go Buster ~smile~. I remember hearing a wise woman of God say.. Never give up on anyone, everyone deserves a second chance. I think that goes well for our furbabies as well. Hey Cora , be looking for mail this week, I finally had a chance to sit and get my cards ready for you, my mom, and my daughter who lives in California. Bless you my friend, you are always in my heart, mind, and prayers.

Luv ya Lorie

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

Yay Buster!! Cora, before we had heelers, my husband had labs. And he always said the worst puppies in the world were lab puppies....up until they were about a year and a half. And they were, but after that, they were the best dog you could ever have. The worst part is over.....now you have a good friend for life!!

Hugs,
Vic

Ann said...

I am glad you didn't give up on him.

Anonymous said...

Buster sounds like our Jack! He is a black lab that showed up with two broken legs on our doorstep a few months back. The vet thinks he is about a year old, and, although he is super sweet, he is driving us crazy with his tearing up and chewing on everything around him, as well as jumping up on everybody (and knocking over our 2 yr old!).

Thanks for the hope you've given me for the future! It's good to know that he will probably outgrow his destructiveness and be the wonderful dog we know he is!

Blessings,
Nancy

ByLightOfMoon said...

Wow, Buster had so grown since I last saw his photo. He is SO Handsome! I am very glad to hear he is settling down. We wll be so happy when Emma does. She is into everything and we are always telling her not to jump on us.
It Will Happen!

I love those daily calenders also, and have saved all my wall calendars also, just for dates posted to them and memories. Well, I am a horder big time, but it comes in nice now and then.
SO good to hear from you.
I posted some funy Frog photos last night, Smiles, cyndi

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Dear Cora,
I see Buster's picture. He looks really cute. I hope you are feeling fine. Buster looks like he would be tons of fun.

I hope you have fun together.

Love,
Colton

(and his mom too!)

Oma aka Meme said...

this just goes to show you that anything to do with chocolate will turn out good in the end-even if he has to live with the name Buster--LOL--soon he will be a smart dog friend-

our little man had his teen age year too and then progressed to being a good doggie- right now he is a bit of crisis after losing his best friend, Papa David- he has accidents in the house :-( which is not his style- I am taking him out to his tree on a more regular basis to get him into mode again- it only happens now and then and then he and I both feel bad---
praying for you - huggles from my heart to yours- Meme

Toni said...

So happy that your seeing progress with Buster Cora!! have a blessed evening!!

nancy huggins said...

I always knew that Buster would turn out to be one of the good guys...I miss calling and talking to him. I am still waiting for you to send me the measurements of his collar even though he won't be needing the cool tye pretty soon. Give my buddy a big hug for me and remember what DOG spells backwords :)
Nancy

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Hi Cora,

It's been a while since I last stopped by. I hope you are doing great.

Good job Buster! And thank you for not giving up on Buster during those bad times. Some people would just give up and send the dog away.