Pages

Friday, September 26, 2008

A Great Day!!!!!



My sister, Juri, posted this picture recently on her blog and I just loved it! It is a picture that looks down our driveway to the back of our property, and just kind of gets lost in the distance. I don't walk that road very often anymore -- I get too tired. But I always loved all the wild flowers, trees, and birds that are back there.
Today as I looked at that picture, I thought of my own journey as I progress down the road with Breast Cancer. I feel as though I'm standing where Juri took that picture -- just a little ways off the main road --- and staring down a pathway that just seems to have no end to it.

I don't mean to sound discouraged or down. In fact, today is the day I'm wearing my big, happy face. It's just that the oncologist today reminded me that we are just starting this journey. What a thought!!!!! It's been 4 months since I saw the very first doctor, been through all kinds of tests, biopsies, scans, and 3 chemo treatments already and we are just starting?????? That's one long walk down that driveway yet, believe me!!!!

But the good news???? The doc was ECSTATIC with the progress of the tumor. In fact, his exact words were, "There is very little tumor left!" Now, you have to understand that this doc is not Mr. Happy, cheer you up, make you feel good, kind of guy. But today, you would have thought he won the lottery!!!!! And for some reason, I was having trouble getting into it with him.

When he saw the tumor site ("the hole" as I like to call it) he was just thrilled with it. Here I'm thinking all week that it is getting so horrid looking, with lumps and bumps, and getting what seemed even larger. He said, "NO, NO!!!! That is all new tissue growing in there as the tumor is dying. There's just a little tumor left around the edges and that will fall away and form all new tissue just like what's inside there." So this new tissue is what we want and it will eventually fill this hole.

His word of encouragement was that we are just starting this journey, and look how good it is working already. He has no doubt that we are going to beat this at this rate.

So. . . . Needless to say, my sister and I left that place with light hearts and hungry stomachs!!!! We shopped at Joann's for a while, then ended up at Bob Evans for one of those mountain high stacked Philly Steak and Cheese stacks!!!!! That's the most food I've eaten in weeks and weeks, but was it ever good!!!!!

It's taken a few hours for this good news to settle in and to make myself realize that the misery of the chemo treatments is only for a little while. It does take good news like this to put up with the tired, achey bones, the pounding heart, the tasteless tongue, the burning pee, the acid stomachs, and the feeling like you were just run over by an 18 wheeler. Suddenly, the hole in the breast is a GOOD thing instead of a BAD thing, and I pull myself up ready to go another round!

Maybe in a few weeks, we'll take another picture of that driveway, and it will be a few more steps down the way towards the end of this journey.

All day today for some reason, this old, old hymn has been going through my mind. Another one of those that it seems I've known since I was in the cradle!!!!! I looked all over for the music for you to hear as you read the words -- but couldn't find it to put on my list! The best I could do is this video, so if you want to sing along, stop the music at the bottom of my blog and listen and sing along!!!! That very last line to the last verse has always, always caused me to stop and think: "Those who trust Him wholly, find Him wholly true." I don't know how trusting I've been. . .nor have thought of myself much worthy of His healing and answers to my prayers. . . and at times I've thought that at best, I got what I deserved!!!!! But you know, He is so gracious, so forgiving, holds me in the hollow of His hands and looks at this poor soul with so much love. . . .in spite of my lack of trust! And believe me, He is trustworthy!!!!!




Like a river glorious, is God’s perfect peace,
Over all victorious, in its bright increase;
Perfect, yet it floweth, fuller every day,
Perfect, yet it groweth, deeper all the way.

Refrain

Stayed upon Jehovah, hearts are fully blest
Finding, as He promised, perfect peace and rest.

Hidden in the hollow of His blessed hand,
Never foe can follow, never traitor stand;
Not a surge of worry, not a shade of care,
Not a blast of hurry touch the spirit there.

Refrain

Every joy or trial falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial by the Sun of Love;
We may trust Him fully all for us to do.
They who trust Him wholly find Him wholly true.

35 comments:

*Linda Pinda* said...

Cora:
I'm so happy that the news from the doctor was good and uplifting!!! Praise God!!!

Your post today made me reflect on God's "touch" in our lives.

Your "hole" is the same one it was months ago. Yet... through the healing touch of the doctor, it is transformed... a sign of healing rather than deterioration.

So, too... our lives...

It may not always "look" or "feel" the way we wish it did, but through the healing touch of Christ, our lives are transformed into a light to dismiss the darkness where we once dwelt.

So often we expect change to be visible, tangible...

Without the doctor's knowledge, that hole would still be the same "ugly" thing which has caused you so much pain and challenge. To you it even looked worse!!!

I guess we all need to trust "THE Expert" and believe that even if things "look" or "feel" worse, we can still be in the midst of renewal... regrowth... healing.

***************

Lord,
Please continue to walk with Cora on this journey and share Your peace and comfort with her. May she be completely healed, and continue to bring us all closer to Your almighty and sacred heart. We ask this in Jesus' name. ~Amen

***************

Love & Hugs... *Linda*

Nicole said...

*Yeah! I am so glad for the good news from the doctor! Praise the Lord.

*What a beautiful comment from Linda. So true.

*Love the picture of the road.

Dear heavenly Father please surrond Cora with your love today. Please let her know that you love her so much and remind her that you are near. Thank you for her love for you and that she realizes that you are hers/our ultimate healer. In Jesus Precious Name! Amen!

He is our Jehovah Rapha-The God that heals.

Love,
Nicole

Love,
Nicole

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

Cora this is fantastic NEWS!!! Praise The LORD!!! He is GOOD! He is FAITHFUL!! Just continue to keep your eyes on HIM and the road will not seem so long my friend!!! Have a wonderful weekend!!!~Wendy

Leaon Mary said...

whooohoOOoo Cora!
God bless you Sweet Cora with HEALTHY BRAND NEW TISSUE... FREE FROM CANCER! WHOOOhOoO
PTL!
LOVE YA
EAGLE WINGS N CRUMB CAKE
Lea

Julie said...

WAHOOOOOOO!!! I love the analogy and the picture. Have a great weekend. Julie

papel1 said...

Glad to hear of the good progress. I love your long driveway. Like you I live in the country and can't imagine what it would be like to live in the city, even though town is close by.
Judy

StitchinByTheLake said...

Great news Cora! The road may be long but it's just a road. You can do it. You even have a Companion walking beside you! blessings, marlene

Ann said...

My heart is fluttering with excitement for you.

Juri said...

Cor, you know how I feel....I walked out of the doctor's office with you feeling 50 pounds lighter...the weight on my shoulders worrying about all this was lifted a bit today with the good news....and Dr. S's enthusiasm was contagious, wasn't it? We are still at the beginning of that road, and there will be lots of bumps and bruises....but we will get to the end and celebrate really big!!!

Juri

LindaSue said...

What a wonderful gift - good news - I really like your analogy of the road picture - our lives are like that == we don't really have a good vision of the ending of the road but oh BABY we know where we will end up for eternity.
I'm go happy for you - bless you and your chinny chin chin (thanks for dropping by)

PianoPlayer said...

Long road for sure. Aren't you glad you don't walk it alone.
Cheryl

Wanita said...

What wonderful news, Cora, that that the cancer is deteriorating and being replaced by new tissue. I will continue to pray as you walk down that road.

Blessings,
Wanita

Oma aka Meme said...

my friend- this is good news indeed=even though the journey is just beginning .........
I am holding you in my heart and prayers as you continue this journey=
side by side suporting you just like a walking stick- I and others are here with you to hold your hand and on those days when you feel ''too much'' from the chemo remember we stand with the Shepherd holding you up in prayer- soft hugs from Meme

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!! Great news Cora. You just made my day!!!! The Lord will continue this journey with you....and as they say, "Today's test is tomorrow's testimony". And what a testimony your's will be :)

Love ya girl,
Vic

Anonymous said...

What terrific news! I am so glad for it and that you had a good day. And I love how you related this journey with cancer to your long driveway. Perfect.

Raquel said...

The song that comes to mind when reading your post is: There is a promise coming down your dusty Road. Please google that, and read the lyrics. Praying for you and so happy the tumor is almost gone! Praise God! Much love, Raquel XO

Claudia said...

Your post has touched me very deeply, for both you and me, as I'm on that journey alongside you. I love your photo, too. The road does seem never-ending some days, for me, too, but I learn every day that I'm surely not traveling that road alone. There are many MANY women all around me.

Everyone around me has told me right from the beginning to trust in the Lord. I've worked very hard to do that. It's not easy, is it? The day of my surgery, I could feel all the people praying all around me, and I knew then that things would be okay.

You have my prayers and you'll get there. You'll get stronger again and you'll walk that walk again and see all those wildflowers and you will smile in the sunshine. :)

Renna said...

Cora, you are the most uplifting and encouraging person I know in blogland. No matter how difficult your day (or life) may be at the time you write a post, you always manage to inspire and encourage your reader to look up to God from whence our help lies. God bless you!

Debra said...

Hi Cora,
I can't tell you how many times you come into my mind and my prayers. It was so wonderful to hear your good news. I love the picture of the road. When I see roads with two tracks like that,I always think-there's a path for me, and one beside me-for Jesus.
I love your humble,sweet,heart-that is so close to Him.
Love, Debra

Toni said...

Cora,
PRAISE GOD!!! That is wonderful news!!I`ll keep you in my prayers!I love that picture of that country road!! I`d love to have that in my back yard!!Please don`t hesitate to e-mail me if you ever want to talk!!Take care!! love and blessings,Toni

Ruthie said...

Hurrah for the good news!!!
I love the picture of the road - where does it go? It's a very soothing photo.

Hugs.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Cora, I'm reading your post with tears in my eyes. I could not be happier for your wonderful report from the doctor! I am dancing with joy!

The photo of your road is just beautiful. You'll be skipping down that road before you know it!

Much love & care,
Lea

Joyfulsister said...

OOh Cora..
(((Hugz))) My heart is jumping with "JOY" as I read this post today. It is such a blessing that God starts a jorney with us and never leaves our side. I love the photo as well, I would call this photo.. The pathway to hope!

Hugz Lorie

SweetAnnee said...

Wonderful news..
YOU WILL beat this..
and I pray you feel better
SOON..
God has you in His hand!!
love, Deena

CathyJean said...

Cora,
That is such wonderful news!
I am thrilled for you! It's so good to hear you cheerful and uplifted!!
God is so good! Praying for you.
Hugz,
Cathy

Katy said...

oh my goodness!!! Praise God for his faithfulness!!! That is sooo wonderful that the tumor is getting smaller and the dr is happy with your progress!!! I know you have been through so much and there is more to come...but Oh..how He is seeing you through and how He loves you! You are such a strong woman Cora and I think you are even stronger than you know you are!!!! xoxo

Juri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
c said...

From one Cora to another - you will easily be remembered in my prayers.

Eve said...

First, I am so happy about the tumor shrinking. Yeah! And second that is one great photo. I set it as my wallpaper. : ) What a lovely road.
I know your journey is hard, as mine has been with PRP but I have learned a lot about myself along the way. I am tough, a lot tougher than I thought I was and my faith is even stronger. In weakness, God can be made strong in us.

Kay-The Rustic Cottage said...

Cora - that is such good news!!! Praise God!!!

That is a beautiful picture of the road - I can see you walking it with Jesus right beside you holding your hand!!!

Love you!

Lola Enchanted said...

I dream of a drive~way just like that one!!!!


Glad you got that kind of news! Keep your chin up!~

Aliene said...

Cora, Just went thru your blog. We have been in Akansas for over a week. Really enjoying our vistig with my brother and his wife. Will go home Monday and get caught up. I am thrilled about your results. Just hang in there and remember the little chorus: Fear thou not, for I'll be with thee, be not dismayed for I am thy God. I will strengthened thee, yea I will help thee, I will uphold the with the right hand of my righteousness." Found in Isaiah = but I forgot where and Don't feel like looking it up. Just remember "You are loved.

kornkribprimitives said...

Praise God!!! That's fabulous news and you shared it so beautifully. No matter what you see, no matter what you hear or feel. BELIEVE!
Jesus said, "ask it of my Father in Heaven in MY name and it SHALL BE DONE" I believe this with all my heart and soul.
"No weapon formed against us shall prosper"
"By Jesus' stripes we are healed"

I bind this cancer in the name of Jesus and loose God's healing powers into your body, mind and spirit in the name of Jesus, AMEN!

Your faith and your journey can help many that may not know Christ. I have no doubt that God will use this in His plan for your life. Lifting you up in prayer Cora!

God loves you so much. As for the puppies. I have to have a dog so I say go for it. Animals help us to heal. :) ((((((Cora)))))))
Blessings, Linda

Leaon Mary said...

Cora,
I just want you to know I am thinkin of you and love ya girl!
Hello to Buster from Abe!
Love Lea
eagle wings n white chocolate macadamia nut cookies!

Deb said...

Wonderful news!!!!