Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

By Grace Alone

April 10 will always be a special day for me. A day of celebration, a day of contemplation, and . . .one of rededication. Two years ago today, I finished the last of treatments for breast cancer. I remember walking out those huge, heavy glass doors. I was happy it was over. THANKFUL it was over!!! But there was an uneasiness there. I've since found out that EVERY gal that goes through this has the same feeling: Is this it? No more? I'm just supposed to go on? And all the "what if's" flood in. I had been clinging to doctors and nurses and radiologists and technicians and trusting them to poison me, cut me up, burn me to a crisp, and then pat me on the back and pretty much say, "see ya!" The walk down that sidewalk was a hard one.

Since that day, my heart has changed. Through all the struggles, doubts and fears the Lord has taught me much -- most of which I've posted here over the years. I've learned that each day is a gift -- no -- each day is FULL of gifts, each one a gift of His grace.

I didn't get my mail in yesterday. My mailbox was being held hostage by vultures who had pulled fresh roadkill to the side of the road. So I left it there until this morning. And this is what I found in my mailbox --- perfect in God's timing, perfect in all it means to me. If I had to write a title to my life this is what it would be! By Grace Alone.

6 comments:

Vicky said...

Oh how perfect! Congrats on this day that is so well deserved and so well earned. I cannot think of a more fitting necklace and saying to wear proudly around your neck! You give me so much hope in thinking I too will come out victorious on the other side of this journey through breast cancer!! Love and blessings to you!

nancy huggins said...

I am very proud of you Cora..you refused to let it take you down. Congrats on this day and isn't today Busters 4th B D..Congrats to both of you and I know how he gave you comfort in your time of need. Take care my dear friend :)

Michelle DeRusha said...

Congratulations, Cora, on such a wonderfully momentous occasion. And that necklace? A precious and perfect gift.

Amy said...

Joy to you as you celebrate health and grace!

Koryn said...

Cora- I am enjoying reading your story and how much joy and satisfaction you have in life just knowing Jesus! Dear sister I too finished breast cancer treatment in the last 2 years, and while this journey never seems fully OVER, I am learning not to be consumed with fear and dread but of rest in God and of total complete trust in His will for my life. Thank you for sharing the necklace I made for you on your blog. I hope you are enjoying it and when asked what it means, that you will share God's grace with those who are blessed to know and meet you! Congratulations on your 2 year cancerversary! Hope to see you again in The Taffy Box sometime :) ~Koryn

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

YOU are the epitome of GRACE♥