Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!!!

Photobucket


Isn't it strange how, the older I get, the more I miss my parents??? My Dad went to Glory over 20 years ago now, but during the past few years, I've really missed him a lot. Maybe it's because I see life from a different perspective than I did before, that suddenly, it's true that he was more wise and understanding than I had thought. Maybe it's because so many things were left unsaid, unasked, unthanked. . . .

Dad, this is for you!

Thanks, Dad!

How strange it seems how many times I think back to my past.
It's all the little, tiny things that seem to hold me fast.
I'm older now, and all grown up, but now I have to say
All I never said before on every Father's Day.

I know you think I soon forgot the nights you came home late.
Mom had tucked me in my bed, but I would always wait.
I knew you'd come and say good night and say a prayer with me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

I won't forget our camping trips or swimming at the shore.
I can't remember even once that you had been a bore.
Somehow you always turned a joke into a melody.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

I know that I was quiet; "Sneaky Pete" became my name.
You sought me out and helped me with my puzzles just the same.
You bought me many books - you understood that need in me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

We sang around the old piano -- weren't those days fun?
Even now those melodies will through my memories run!
I still can hear the hymns in Dutch you used to sing for me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be!

Rabbits, gardens, swings and dogs, bikes with broken chains --
After work, you listened to my problems and my pains.
You always fixed my bike and found my rabbit then for me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

You prayed with me, and sang with me, and taught me of God's love.
And at an early age I knew of Heaven's home above.
You told me I should never doubt the Father's love for me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

I strayed away, I knew it hurt, but you were always there,
And when we met you promised you would left me up in prayer.
I know you always had the faith that God was keeping me.
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be.

I wish that we could share just one more special Father's Day!
I know there are a million little things that I could say.
But just a hug and you would know my eyes would misty be!
Thank you, Dad, for being all the Daddy you could be!
--Cora

15 comments:

2 Much Farm Primitives said...

Oh Cora....now you've made me cry. I never knew my father. He left when Momma was pregnant with me, came back for a little while after I was born, then left again. And I haven't heard from him since. I've thought about trying to find him, but I just don't know if I could stand any more rejection. Momma says she knows he's still alive, and what town he lives in, but, you know, in my mind, I just wonder why he hasn't tried to contact me? Momma says he always knew where we were. I've searched on the internet and know he remarried, had several other kids, so I know I have brothers and sisters out there I've never met.

Momma remarried when I was 10, to a wonderful man. And he was the only daddy I ever had. But he died 3 years later from cancer...at the tender age of 29. She married again after I married the first time, but not living at home, we really weren't close. He died about 17 years ago. So you see, on Father's Day I kinda feel empty....like I've always missed something. Although, my grandfather was such a dear dear sweet man, and I guess he's who I think of when Father's Day rolls around.

I'm so happy that you, and others, had such wonderful fathers. And it gives me such joy to see my grandkids with good fathers....and stepfathers.

And, most of all, I'm thankful I had my Heavenly Father all these 55 years of my life to call on and be there. He never once let me down :)

God Bless you girl. You are always in my prayers.

Love ya,
Vic

Deb said...

Cora, that's a lovely tribute to your father. Blessings as you have thoughts of him today. Deb

CathyJean said...

I was crying after reading your post, Cora and now I am really crying after reading Vickie's comment! Whee!!
This is the first Father's Day for me without my Dad. He went Home to be with the Lord (and my mother) last October. It feels strange and sad.
Your post was so sweet. What a great tribute to your father.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Hi Cora, loved the trubute to your dad! I just want you to know how much I love stopping by to read your blog! Blessings,Kathleen

Wanita said...

Cora, The poem for you dad is beautiful. My dad has been gone for 22 years, and I still miss him, too.

Bless you!

mammaof5js said...

Dear Cora,
I so enjoyed the sweet poem you wrote about to your dad. God has given you such a gift for sharing your heart with the written word. I still have copies of several poems you wrote for events in the life of my family. I come across them every now and then looking through papers I've saved and always enjoy reading them again. Thanks for sharing in so many ways.
Tracee

Toni said...

What a wonderful tribute to your father Cora!my father passed away when I was 6 years old.
I love the piture you poste as well.Have a blesed day!

Leaon Mary said...

Hi Cora,
I know today is a very hard day for you... ~ your tribute is beautiful.
What a wonderful daughter your parent's had... who is such a blessing to so many.... especially me.
Thinking of you this day,
Lea
<*)))><

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

thanks for visiting my site, feel free to stop by anytime! what a wonderful tribute to your father.

Renna said...

Cora, you have such an amazing gift from God, in writing. Your tribute to your daddy was very moving, and simply beautiful.

My heart goes out to Vic. More and more children, in the times we are now living, are being raised without a 'dad' relationship. I was very fortunate when my late husband died young, that my 'dad', who was really my stepfather but a dad in just about every sense of the word, stepped in and became much more than a granddad to my kids. My now grown children have rich memories of their grandpa who taught them so many things including the physical "how to's", as well as valuable lessons of life.

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Cora,

Your post brought tears to my eyes! That post was a beautiful tribute to your daddy!

~ Tammy

naomisnotions said...

That was so nice Cora! Thank you for sharing! :)

(((HUGS)))

Naomi

LindaSue said...

nothing like our Daddies - not ever. Thank you for sharing your heart - both those who had good dad and those who didn't can be blessed by your poem.

Deborah said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad! I didn't expect to still have my dad this father's day, as he was so sick last year, but praise the Lord, he's still with us, and your post was a reminder of how blessed I am to still have my dad.
Thank you!

Nancy M. said...

Cora, that was a wonderful poem about your father! I was thinking of my own father who has been gone on for 18 years, with tears in my eyes.

I, too, wish I could have him back. There are so many things I would love to ask him if I had the chance. Never realized how much I could learn from him, until it was too late.