Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

Tonight's Supper!




It's been one of those days!!!! Buster was on his WORST EVER behavior, I couldn't get my ebay stuff straightened out, I forgot about my wash in the washing machine and it stunk and had to be rewashed -- twice -- and it's HOT!!!!!

So. . . . I thought to myself, I'd like a nice, simple dinner that's tasty and will last through tomorrow . . . . or even all next week, for all I care!

I open the freezer and I see cooked chicken ready to go, some bacon and I say, "YES! the makings for a tetrazzini! I just love that dish!

So out comes the onion, the cream of mushroom soup, the noodles, the milk. I start by cutting up the bacon and frying that, added the onions, and when done, drained that off. I added the chicken pieces just to get it heated up. (While doing all this, I cooked my noodles til just done!)

(You have to know that Buster is between my legs the whole time, hoping I'll drop the bacon or chicken or something! And I'm HOT!!!!!)

I then added the soup to my bacon mixture and some milk, and pepper. I go to the fridge for my parmesian cheese -- NONE! So. . . . . it won't be tetrazzini, but I'll add some other white cheese I had on hand.

Mind you, I'm not crabby. . . . . yet!!!!

I drain the noodles. . . . steam in my face, Buster STILL between my legs . . . . now I'm really HOT!!!!! But still not crabby! I like this dish, remember!

I carefully mix my bacon mixture in with the noodles, add some of that shredded cheese and mix till it's all melted nice and yell. . . . .

SUPPER'S READY!!!!!

Nice big glass of ice tea. . . . some corn on the side. . . .

And it tasted. . . . . . TERRIBLE!!!!! Just AWFUL!!!

I'm sorry, guys. This just didn't cut it at all. I could hardly eat it. I know I don't like a lot of salt, and I didn't add even a pinch, but this was like eating out of the salt shaker.

All I could think of as I ate it was that I wasted a box of noodles, a big can of soup, a box of bacon, a package of chicken, a lot of cheese . . . . . for THIS??????
Any of these things I love separately and would have loved my precious bacon for breakfast tomorrow, but there it was. . . . ruined in my noodles!

Buster is sitting here with a big smile on his face saying, YES!!!! here's my dish, Ma! Fill er up!

So. . . . . how was YOUR dinner tonight?????

15 comments:

Juri said...

Oh no, Cora....I am in my kitchen making dinner, as hot as you!! Who would think to fry bacon in this heat...only you and me!!!!

Sorry about your dinner! There is nothing worse than working hard, staying non-crabby in this heat, and sitting down to a lousy dinner!

Jur

Kimmie said...

Oh, sorry your dinner came out yucky Cora. All that work and ingredients wasted. I have had that happen before and it is sad to have to toss it out. I made sloppy joes, mashed potatoes and corn for dinner.

Thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers.
Love,
Kimmie

Wendy/TheCozyYellowHouse said...

That so stinks doesn't it, your thinking the whole time how good you remember it to be and then BAM it hits ya like a ton of bricks!! We just had frozen pizzas and brownies from a box!! Hope you are doing well!~Wendy

papel1 said...

You should have stuck to my boring dinner, boxed macaroni and cheese. Close to 100 degrees and how does one cook in the heat. Right now its back to the kitchen for an ice cream cone.
Judy

Toni said...

I tried a new recipe today.Mine also had fried bacon in it.First you put raw chicken into your crockpot,then mix ranch and teriyaki sauce(I know it sounds weird but it was very good)pour it over the chicken,add a cup of shredded cheddar cheese,then 12 slices of crumbled bacon.Let it cook all day,and serve over rice with a side of veggies:)Theres a blog I go on that has all recipes for your crockpot!Perfect for the dog days of summer:)It wasn`t too hot in Pa today:)Anyway,sorry you had a lousy supper:(We had one the other night,too.I`ll keep praying for you,Cora!Blessings!!

CathyJean said...

OH, no! Cora,
So sorry to hear about your day :( Mine was almost that bad - nothing I worked on today came out right so I gave up and sat and watched old western tv shows. (I guess I should be glad my dinner came out ok).
As my mother would say - tomorrow is another day!!

Renna said...

Aw, what a shame. I have experienced similar cooking fiascos.

One of my favorite dinners in the summer is a garden salad with whatever I have on hand that I can add to it. Sometimes I'll pick up a roasted chicken from the grocery's deli and slice some of the meat onto my salad, and sometimes I buy chicken tenders from the deli and slice those on top of my salad.

I also like to use my George Foreman grill to quickly grill a marinated chicken breast, then cut it into strips and add those to my salad. Whatever I can do to keep from turning on the oven! ;-)

Deb said...

Hi Cora, I've had a couple of salty meals in the pass few months, sometimes it just turns out that way and it's annoying. Tonight I had baked pork chops seasoned with black pepper, salt, and garlic powder, chicken favored ramen noodles, green lima beans and country rolls. It was rather tasty too. Deb

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Poor Cora! I would have been crabby way before you. Did you make Buster's dream come true?

Smiles,
Lea

ByLightOfMoon said...

Cora, you had me hungry watching your cook! But, I am here with my air on, so I am not hot! LOL< I am so sorry your dish was not good but, HEY, It is BEAUTIFUL to LOOK at!

smiles, cyndi
And just give Buster his dinner and breakfast, abit of it!

Tammy ~ Country Girl at Home ~ said...

Oh no Cora, I hate when that happens! It's happened here before too.

Well let's see...this is Saturday night and we made a trip to Home Depot and stopped in Colton's to eat. It was very good!

~ Tammy

Toby Parsons said...

Oh, I hate it when that happens.

Yesterday, the 20th, I made Meatball Ministrone soup. It was, as always, delicious. It is 'not' hot here. I think we hit 70 degrees yesterday.

Here is the recipe, should you like to try it:

1 # grass fed, no hormone & no antibiotic ground beef

1 free range, organic egg

1/2 cup chopped (very fine) organic onion

1/4 cup plain bread crumbs

1 tsp. Celtic sea salt

1/4 tsp. black ground pepper

1 can (15 oz) organic kidney beans 'with' liquid

1 can (15 1/2 oz) organic tomato sauce

2 1/2 cups pure water (no chlorine or flouride, etc)

1/2 tsp. organic dried oregano

1/4 tsp. organic dried thyme

1 cup organic sliced celery

1/4 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni

1/4 cup organic chopped fresh parsley or 1 to 2 tsp. dried

In a mixing bowl, combine beef, egg, onion, crumbs, salt & pepper. Shape into 1 inch balls. In a large skillet, brown meatballs well on all sides. Drain excess fat.

In a stock pot, add remaining ingredients 'except' macaroni and parsley; cover and simmer 20 minutes. Add macaroni; simmer 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley.

Freeze your leftovers for another day when you don't have time to make dinner.

Enjoy!!! :)

Blessings dear Cora! :)

Paula said...

I'm so sorry Cora.. I hate to fix something I can't eat and "waste" the ingredients!! And I do it alot! LOL

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Oh Cora, sorry to hear about your yucky dinner. It happened and will probably happen again in the future to me. I totally hate that because not only it's a waste of time and effort, it's a waste of food and money!
Keep smiling Cora! :-)

PianoPlayer said...

Last week I noticed a few collard greens left in the garden, probably the last ones from this planting. I was so looking forward to having them as a side dish with whatever I was fixing for supper. I SO OVERSALTED THEM. Couldn't eat 'em at all. And they were too salty to give to the chickens.
So, even though mine was only a side dish and not the whole meal, I know how you feel. After all, we're talking about collards here. You know, they are close to manna.
(wink, wink)
Cheryl