Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

Left Overs ------ Again?????

Usually if there isn't enough for two left over in the bowl, I either give it to Buster, or I throw it away.

But lately, I just can't afford to do that, taking into consideration the high prices on veggies and other foods!

Last week, I did a cookie sheet full of roasted vegetables. It's probably my all time favorite way to eat veggies. I cut up potatoes into chunks (left the skin on!),
cut carrots into sticks, and cut up onions into chunks. I toss these together with olive oil and seasonings, spread out on a cookie sheet, and roast until nice and brown and tender.

I had a small bowl left over, and decided to save them.

The next night, I wondered what to do with these, as I was having meatloaf and needed some veggies to go with it.

Here's what I came up with . . . . .

Photobucket


I quickly whipped up some instant mashed potatoes (I like mine not so runny!).

I then took my left over oven roasted veggies, cut them up a little big, and mixed them in my mashed potato mixture.

I put this all into a buttered baking dish.

I had two strips of bacon left over from breakfast, so I crumbled that on top, and added some shredded chedder cheese, too.

I baked this all until the cheese was bubbly at about 375 degrees.

This had to be one of those all time favorite dishes I've ever made. I really didn't need the meatloaf . . . . This was good all by itself!

Isn't life great?????

---------------

Photobucket


For these things, I thank you, Lord:
39. Fresh tomatoes from the garden!
40. A lovely mid-day shower!
41. A sister who understands!
41. Great blogging prayer warriors.
42. Blubbery memories of my Dad!
43. A great cup of coffee and cookies that my sister made!
--------

8 comments:

Paula said...

Wow, that looks delish!
I would have loved to taste-tested that.. hint hint

Linda said...

Wow! That sounds great! :D
I'm not too good with 'changing leftovers into something nice' myself, but.... (and this I inherited from my italian dad) I will never, ever throw food away, unless it has mold.. *lol*

This has gotten me into trouble many times, because if all else fails, I'll eat it myself.. and then I get.. you know.. fat! ;) But really, both of us can't stand to see people who either play (wasting) with their food or throwing 'perfectly good food' away.. so this is just.. perfect!

Greetings from holland!

Juri said...

Sounds great, Cor! You do have a talent with left-overs, a gene that was never passed on to me! After reading this recipe, however, I am going to try harder!

Jur

Leaon Mary said...

Oh CORA... you ARE aMAZING!.... IS there anything you can't do? WHAT KIND of seasoning did you use? DO TELL!! :)
I am writing you a long email....
L
<*)))><

Sugarplum Cottage said...

This looks delicious, pass me a plate. I'll eat anything as long as I don't have to cook it. I've been wondering, when we get to heaven, will we have to cook? Just kiddin', Lord forgive me. I'll be thinking of you Wednesday. Just remember God will be there with you, don't hesitate to lean on Him.
Luv ya, Rose

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Cora, I wish I had that skill. Honestly, I can have a pantry full of food and can't put a thing together unless I read a recipe or someone suggests something. I need lessons. That recipes sounds sooo good. Now I'm craving some.

Hugs,
Lea

Renna said...

For some reason, I can't get the picture to load now, but it sounds positively delicious, Cora! Very clever cooking. ;-)

Toni said...

Wow Cora!!Looks yummy!I`ll have to try that:)